Sunday, November 9, 2014

November 3, 2014

So how are y'all doing?  Life here in Paraguay is a little bit crazy, but I like it.  It got super hot  this week but then randomly it stopped being hot and just started to rain. It rained for a good little while, and then for the past three or four days it has been super wet. The weather here in Paraguay is really random, but it gives us a little bit of time to slow down and cool down.  But life is good ... it's crazy to think that Halloween is past us and that it is almost Thanksgiving and that I have almost hit a year ... it is crazy to think how fast the time has gone, and that in a year I will be home with y'all.

But ya, the life is good, I like it here.  I like my area, we have a bunch of people that we are teaching and they are super dope (cool).  Elder Garner is doing quite well, he is a good guy and we get a long great and haven't had any problems. Training has been a little bit different because I don't really know when I need to let him teach, and what I need to be doing for him, but it's all good. We are working hard, and he is doing really well.

It was kind of a sad week because I love Halloween, but it's all good -- only one more and then I will be home celebrating with all of my homies (friends) in California, and all that good stuff.  For Halloween we went over to Elder Frost's house and had kind of a Halloween District Party and that was fun.  We played Monopoly, nothing too cool, but it was super fun. Elder Alves, Elder Frost and I created an alliance. We owned like half of the Monopoly board, including Boardwalk.  But apparently the monopoly wizards weren't in our favor because the rest of the players landed on all the "Chance" spots every time and we all went broke and they ended up winning.  We had horrible luck,  but it's all good. ;) 

But ya this Sunday was cool because we worked super hard all week in Nueva Asuncion, and we were looking for people to baptize and for all the menos activos (less actives) that we have.  We have been working hard, but a lot of our "less actives" been super stubborn -- but guess what, we had six less actives in church this week, and so that was super dope (cool).  We did a lot of work and it paid off really well. We had a good week! :)

The mission is going super well and we are doing well, and I hope that y'all are doing really well. ;) We go hard in the paint (work really hard), and I know that the work I put in is making my future wife a lot prettier, so it's all good.  I'm willing to put in work for my future. Haha.  :)  (There is a saying among Mormon Missionaries that the harder they work, the prettier their wife will be).

I love y'all and I am so happy that I am here and that I have the opportunity to be in your lives.  Love y'all and hope that all is good with everyone.

Oh and "yes" Brownie, I can think in Spanish now. :)  I even dream in Spanish ... it's pretty crazy.

So my moments of the week ...

The most spiritual was a lesson with the Aivero Family.  We had a good lesson with them, and told the dad that he needs to come back to church, and he understood and is coming back ... it was super cool. 

The funniest moment probably when we went to go played Monopoly.  It was super fun and we laughed a lot. 

My hardest moment ... when it is raining, it gets super hard to do anything :(, but we still go out and work hard and have a good time.  :)

I love y'all,
Elder Turley 
----------

Note by Jon's Mom:  Jon's companion's mom, Anne Garner, sent me Elder Garner's letter and there were a couple of things I wanted to add to Jon's letter ...  Elder Garner goes in to a lot more detail ... yes, I have let Jon know that he needs to be more detailed.

Snippets from Elder Garner's letter to his mom.

We taught a lot of lessons and met with a lot of menos activos but it was a pretty chill week.  We did have one really cool experience though that I wanna share.  We have this investigator named Ana who is 11 years old and lives with her Grandma.  Ana is a homie (golden).  Normally when we teach lessons and ask questions to people such as "Why do we get Baptized?" we will either get nothing, some incoherent mumbling, or something general like "because Jesus said so".  But Ana's answer was "Because we need to be made clean for our sins and make covenants with God to return to live with Him again."  She's 11.  She's dope.  But it's been a little hard because she lives so far away she can't come to church all that often.  And her Mom lives close to the church, so she asked if she could live with her Mom to make it easier to go to church on Sundays.  And the Mom basically told here that she doesn't love her and doesn't consider her her child and all this horrible stuff that no 11 year old should have to deal with.  So me and Elder Turley gave her a blessing which was an amazing experience, and then we talked about the story of 1 Nephi 3:7- how despite all of his challenges, Nephi kept his faith.  Ana said that she knew that this church was true and that nothing was gonna break her faith, just like Nephi.  Like I said, Ana is a homie, and she is going to be baptized on the 22nd!

This month is gonna be super busy getting people ready for baptismal dates! We have two baptisms scheduled for the 22nd and three for the 29th! It's so exciting to see peoples' lives being changed, and it is the single greatest feeling to be able to give them the opportunity to make that change.  Missionary Work is the greatest thing ever.

Thank you, Elder Garner, for letting us know about Ana ... and about the five baptisms that are coming up.  We are praying for both you and Elder Turley! :)

----------
From left to right, Jon with his trainer/zone leader, Elder Gummersall, and his companion/greenie Elder Garner, -- or in missionary terms ... Grandfather, Father, Son.



P-day at TGI Fridays -- Jon was so excited to eat an "American" hamburger.
Jon's Hamburger


Seriously ... he was so excited!!!

Mom's Note:  I am so thankful that most missionaries have blogs.  It is so fun to follow the blogs of other missionaries in Jon's mission, and every once in a while I will come across something about Jon.  That happened today.  Elder Frosts' dad told me I needed to check out his son's blog because there was a funny story about Jon.  Below is a paragraph about Jon's trip to TGI Friday as written by Elder Frost.  It appears the missionaries got into an "Oops what do we do now" moment.  I am so glad to see that Jon still has his easy going personality.

First was a rather enjoyable pday.  We had cash, which you know means we go out to eat.  And it was a late celebration of Elder Luke’s b-day.  So we went to TGI Fridays.  I got my usual -- my Jack Daniels steak with onion rings and cheesy mashed potatoes.  It was awesome!  So delicious, like always.  It was just a good time to eat good food and hang out with friends.  Then a funny moment --  since we told them it was a b-day, they got all ready to sing.  But then Elder Luke left, so when they came out we had to give it to somebody.  So it became Elder Turley’s b-day.  It was quite funny to see him dancing around and doing all the birthday stuff.  I then tipped a little since I know how important tipping is.  She was so excited for a 2 buck tip. 
 
--------------------
Also in other missionary blogs I will find pictures that I feel should be part of Jon's blog.  The Paraguay Asuncion North Parents are so wonderful to share pictures ... Below is a
picture from Elder Garner's Blog of the area he and Jon serve in!



No comments:

Post a Comment