Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015


Hey Parents --

So yeah, I am in Tacuati -- in the middle of nowhere which is kind of interesting because I am almost positive that I will die (finish my mission) here.  I was super sad because I didn't want to die lejos (finish my mission in an outlying area), but I think that is what is going to happen.  But, it's all good.  I have met some pretty cool people, and work wise and food wise, it's a lot better than Neuland.  


So as you know, for the past six months I have been cooking for myself.  And although I can cook, I can't really cook from scratch, so that has been super interesting the past six months.  Now that I am in Tacuati, I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner which is super cool because I am so over cooking. Haha :)  

So I have been able to get to know the Group Leader (similar to branch president, but over a "unit" not a branch) and some of the members and they are all pretty cool.  Tacuati is pretty different than Neuland.  Instead of being in a desert like I was in the Chaco, I am now like in the middle of the jungle.  There are a lot of trees and it's really green.  To be honest it is super pretty out here ... and the people are super nice, so that's pretty awesome.  So I was thinking about this change (transfer) and it most likely will be the last area I will serve in (although you never know), and it kind of blows my mind that most likely when I pack again, I will be packing to come home, so that's going to be cool.  Haha. :)

So not much happened this week.  I was with Elder Luke for about half of it -- or at least until Wednesday morning when I went out and waited for the bus to take me to my new area.  I really wasn't excited for a bus ride, and I really wasn't feeling very well, and so as soon as I got on I popped a couple of Nyquil and slept the whole time.  Apparently I was so out of it that the other missionaries who were traveling with me took pictures of me and threw stuff at me and I didn't even notice.  Apparently it was super funny.  So we arrived in Horqueta where we stayed for the night, and then the next day, Thursday at around noon, I left for my new area, Tacuati.  It took like three hours to get there and I arrived at around 3.

  
Tacuati is really such a different area than Neuland.  It's kind of cool because I have served in a lot of different areas.  So there is a river in my area, and that is where we perform baptisms, so I am kind of hoping I will be able to perform a baptism in the river -- that's pretty original. :) 

So yeah, I really don't have much more to say other than I am stoked (excited) to be here, it will for sure be a whole new experience for me.  I am kind of sad that I won't be ending my mission around my friends, but it's cool that I am getting to know a little bit more of Paraguay.  :) 

Life is good, and I am happy to be here.

  
I love y'all. 

Elder Turley



Questions of the Week -- There are a lot since Jon is in a new area.

How is Tacuati? 

It's good, I like it.


What is it like -- Desert, tropical? 

It's in the middle of a jungle.  


What is the town like? 

It seems to be a poorer town, but the people are so nice.


Are there restaurants?

There are a couple of places where you can get hamburgers and stuff.


Are there stores? (If you don't have stores, how far do you have to go to get your food)? 

There is a little store that we go to. 


Are there dirt or paved roads?

They are mostly dirt road. 


Do the people have cars? 

 A couple of them do. 


What are the peoples' houses like? 

Mostly little and made of wood or brick. 


What is your apartment like? 

I live in a super poor house, but it's a lot bigger than my place in Neuland so that is a positive. :)


Do you have indoor drinking water? 

If there is water in the city, then yes.  (Mom's note: I'm not really sure what he meant by this, I wonder if the city runs out of water).


Are you missing anything in your apartment - like a kitchen sink? (Jon didn't have a kitchen sink in Neuland because he didn't have drinkable running water).

I don't have air conditioning, but I do have a kitchen sink.

Do you have heat and air conditioning? 

No heat, and it's been freezing. 


What is your companion's name?

Elder Simao 


Where is he from? 

Brazil 


Do you two get along? 

Yeah, we get along good.


What is he like? 

He is strict, but not super, super strict.  We get along good.


What is your "unit" like? 

It's interesting, the church is bigger than in Neuland and I don't have to speak ever Sunday, so that's cool.  


How many members on the rolls? 

I am not sure yet. 


What was your happiest moment this week? 
Being on a 3 day division with Elder Luke.


Was was your most spiritual moment this week?

Hmmm we didn't really have any spiritual moments because we were traveling most of the week, but we did have a testimony meeting that was really spiritual. 


What was your most difficult moment this week? 

Dealing with the fact that I am lejos again (in an outlying area, away from other missionaries).  


What was your funniest moment this week?

Hmmm probably when I dressed up in woman's clothes as a joke with all the "dying" Elders.  It was super funny ... don't ask. :) 


What was your favorite scripture this week?

Hmmm probably the one that "drops Cain" (speaks strongly) on people for not baptizing their children at 8 years old. 


Tell me about your favorite lesson this week? 

We didn't really have too many lessons this week. 


Who is your favorite person of the week? 

Elder Luke, he is a homie (like a brother). 
 

Do you know that I love you more than life itself?

Yes I do mother.





Saying "Goodbye" to Neuland
(Jon's last few days in the Paraguayan Desert)






















 Jon with Elder Luke ...
one of his best buds from the mission.
Elder Luke completed his mission this change and was headed home.





 Jon with Elder ....





Saying "Hello" to Tacuati
(Jon's new home and the Paraguay jungle. 
Jon keeps commenting on how green it is).










Jon's new home in Tacuati





No comments:

Post a Comment