Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7, 2014



April 7, 2014

Hello family. 

So this week has been super chill and General Conference was amazing. One thing that I really liked and caught my attention is that we will always have struggles, but if we set our faith on Christ, we can get through them no matter what.

Here’s my week’s recap: 


Monday was a good day.  We went to the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, and then we bought a cake and took it to Moroni – he is the kid we are going to baptize – because it was his birthday.  After that we went to see the family Lopez and took our laundry to them.  They are a member family who love helping the missionaries, and they actually do our laundry.  While I was talking to them, they said I am getting better at Spanish, so that made me feel good. 

Tuesday, we had a District Meeting in the morning (Jon’s companion is his District Leader), and they make me sing at the meetings and I don’t know how to sing, so I don’t know why they make me do it.  (Side Note:  For some reason, the singing gene did not make it to the Will Turley family).  After District Meeting we went over to Moroni’s house and ate the cake we bought him for his birthday, and taught him some more.  While we were there, his sister called us a bad word, which I think I know what it was, but I’m not sure.  Anyway, it was kind of funny.  After Moroni’s, we went to Ariel’s house and had dinner with he and his family (hot dogs), and then taught them a lesson.

Wednesday we had lunch with the Yurt Family, a member family from our ward, and it was really good.  After that, we went to visit the Martinez family and that was so cool to talk to her because she is actually going to General Conference.  Next, we talked to a menos activo (less active) who’s name is Juana and her son.  It was a really good meeting.  Her son had a gnarly (really bad) accident, but because of it he wants to come back to church because he has learned that “life is better with Jesus on your side.”

Thursday, had lunch with the Lopez Family.  After lunch, we walked around for hours.  We had a lesson later that night with Lorena and also with Matias and Ilsa. 

Friday I got sick with the stomach flu.  I slept during the morning, and then we went to lunch, although I didn’t eat because my stomach was super sick.  After that we talked to the Florentine Family and to Moroni.  We tried to talk with Ariel and his family, but they hid from us which was super disappointing.

Saturday we went to a menos activo (less active) family’s house and had a good meeting with them.  After that, we went to the church and listened to Conference.  I couldn’t really see any of it, but I heard it in English and that was awesome.  I really liked Elder Holland’s talk about how we are going to be tried because we are Mormons.  It really is true. J

Sunday we watched Conference at the church all day.  I bought some Mentos and some Pringles as my “conference snacks.”  After Conference, we had to walk home because the bus was full.  Unlike Salt Lake, and even Newport, walking home from church takes a long time because it is like five miles away.  It seemed to go on forever, but we finally got home.  We had twelve in-actives in church to watch Conference, so that was super dope (amazing)!  I really like Elder Uchtdorf’s talk about how we need to be grateful even when we are having problems in our lives.   Conference really was amazing and I enjoyed watching and hearing it. 



Today I played soccer with the Latino missionaries, and did pretty well.  I also bought a cool silver tie clip.  Silver is super cheap down here, so if you want anything, let me know.



I want you to know that I know that the church is crazy true.  I also want everyone to know that if they need help with anything, that I am always here to talk, just write to me.

I love you all,

Elder Turley 

Mom's Side Note:  So there are monkeys all over in Paraguay, and a lot of them are actually people's pets.  Jon sent me this random picture of a monkey on a wall.  


I am on a Facebook Page called Missionary Moms of the Paraguay Asuncion North Mission, and so we all post our pictures on that page when we get them.  After I posted this picture, I learned that almost all of the missionaries have a "monkey" picture.  

One of the moms, Alicia Cowger, suggested we put all the monkeys together in a picture and have it be the cover photo for our Facebook page.  We all agreed, so she put them together and this is what our cover picture looks like.  It's amazing what one little picture will spur. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment