Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20, 2014

Just a note from Jon's Mom -- Ten years ago today, my sweet Tom entered the MTC to begin his mission, and knowing this, I started reminiscing.  I have three sons ... Bill who served from 2003-2005, Tom who served from 2004-2006, and Jon who is currently serving.  When Tom left, Bill was serving, Tiff was living on her own, and I only had three little ones who needed me.  Our house felt so quiet ...  Christmas 2004 was so different -- it's amazing how different things are with six people instead of eight.  You would think six would feel like a house full, but the two boys were so greatly missed! I kind of think I was a little numb when Tom left, like "here we go again,"  and "there goes another son."  I was so thrilled for the boys, so happy they were on missions and serving the Lord.  I knew how important these years would be for them, but oh how I missed them.  When Tom returned home in 2006, all eight of us were back together for the first time in three years.  What a glorious time!!!  I remember hugging all three of my boys and saying out loud "I have eight years until I have to send a missionary again."  Well, those eight years flew by, and now my baby, my last missionary, is serving.  And ... if I thought the house was quiet with six, imagine how quiet it is with just Will and I.  I was never a mom who was excited for their children to move out.  I love my alone time with Will, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I miss my children ... all six of them ... and their three spouses ... and my three (almost four) grandchildren.  If I had my way, my family would all live within minutes of me, so I could see them every day.  But, that is not the direction our life has taken, and while our house is so quiet, I know that I am a very blessed person ... Life is so wonderful ...  I am so very blessed! But I have to admit I am anxiously awaiting our next complete family reunion! :) Okay enough reminiscing ... On to Jon's email for the week!

Hello Family --
How are y'all doing? This week has been a good week, we got some good work in. I didn't have that baptism this week, but we should be able to get it in the next couple weeks, I'm really not worried.  So want to hear something funny,  Elder Gummersall (my trainer) is my Zone Leader, and the baptismal goal for our Zone is 13 this month.  Well, Elder Gummersall got four baptisms and I got four with another one coming, so Elder Gummersall and I have pretty much taken care of the Zone here in Luque, our current area hasn't seen a lot of baptisms lately, so it's really cool. :)  Basically our Zone is really "killing" it.  ;) 
But as for changes we don't know what is happening.  Right now I am with Elder Aquino.  He is a missionary who recently returned to the mission after having to go home for medical reasons.   President decided this change that he doesn't want to tell us changes because there are a bunch of people who don't work hard on "change" week if they are getting changed (that's a lot of changes).  I understand it, but it might make it difficult to say "goodbye" to any of the members or our investigators, so it will be interesting to see how it all works out.  
So I've been pretty good as far as my health goes.  I haven't really been sick, except for a little bit of allergies.  Nothing too cool. ;) 

But as to the week nothing too special, just the good old busy work, nothing too crazy, the life as a missionary is the struggle, right. Haha :) But, ya, I've been out almost a year ... that blows my mind because I never thought I'd make it this far ... Haha, just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.  The time has gone by super fast.  
So something totally random, I've already been thinking about the first meal that I am going to eat when I get back.  I am thinking Cafe Rio because it is like Mexican(y) and it has a salad, and I haven't had a good salad in forever.  The salads here are like finely chopped heads of lettuce with salt and some oil and lime.  They taste good, but they aren't like the salads back at home.  Who would think I would miss salads.  Ssshhh don't tell anyone. :)

But anyway, I love y'all.  I will be praying for y'all.  You guys are the best and I think you all so much for all the love and support that y'all give me.

For the questions of the week 

1.  Is it transfer week? If not, when is it? Yes, it is transfer week but I don't know if I am going to be changed.  I will find out tomorrow night. 

2. If it isn't transfer week who is your comp? Right now it is Elder Aquino he just got back to the mission a week ago 

3.  If it is transfer week, what is going on with you? I'm not really sure yet what is happening.

4. What is the name of your new companion? Elder Aquino
    Where is he from? Lima Peru

5.  Are you staying in Luque or going somewhere else? I don't know, but I am hoping to stay in Luque, but I will go where the Lord wants me.

6.  What was your happiest moment of the week? Being able to write my amazing family this Monday ;)

7.  What was your hardest moment of the week? I didn't really have anything that hard.  Haha (Mom's note:  So I am on a Facebook site with other moms who have missionaries in Jon's mission, and they were saying today how hot it is getting there -- like 110 with tons of humidity.  I find it interesting that Jon didn't mention the heat, but he is pretty easy going about everything).

8.  What was your most spiritual moment of the week? We had a good lesson in church about loving one another, it was pretty spiritual.

9.  What was your funniest moment of the week?   We were contacting a guy in the street and he was like "Hey, I need to pray with you guys," and so we said a prayer with him, and then he told us he had given us the "Spirit."  Super Mackana.

10.  What can we pray about for you? Just that I can find at least two people to baptize in November, that is my goal.

11.  What was something you learned this week? That the way to keep everything good is to not stress the little things. Just be calm and you will have more success and enjoy the mission more.

12.  How is your health? My health is doing really well, I'm pretty tranquillo.


Well, I love y'all and hope that you guys have a good day ;) 

Elder Turley
AKA the most handsome missionary in all of the land
(Mom's note: I am so glad to see that he still has his fun personality).  :) 



 Elder Aquino

No comments:

Post a Comment